Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Some of my favorite men...

So in a break from serious contemplation about Sudan and what-I-want-to-do-with-the-rest-of-my-life stress, I'm taking a minute to consider other highly important matters. Two of my favorite male musicians are coming to Austin and I MUST find a way to overcome some barriers and hear their voices live and in-person. What barriers you ask? Well let's consider the scenarios...

First, Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals are playing THIS Sunday evening as part of the post-Nike+ Human Race entertainment. I was a little late in coming to realize how incredible Ben Harper is, but once I got on that boat last fall, I've been dying to hear him in concert (particularly since he's known for putting on stellar shows.) The problem though is that supposedly you have to be a participant in the race in order to get into the concert. Hmmm. That's a little problematic since I haven't exactly been training for a 10K run, and I also already have plans for Sunday night. Do I ditch plans, pay the $35 entry fee, and then run over 6 miles ... all just to hear Ben? I dunno. I'd be so bummed to think that he's playing in Austin and I'm NOT there, but... I think that suddenly enlisting in an athletic competition might be a bit much. Anybody know of ways to get into the show that won't involve running shoes??

The other show I just found out about tonight, and I'm SO excited for. On October 25th, the one and only Ray Lamontagne is going be playing at the Paramount here in Austin -- and seriously, I MUST be there. Three years ago I made a mix of songs by Ray Lamontagne and Amos Lee, and I've literally listened to it hundreds of times since then. The barrier for me going to this concert is far less hindering than a 10K run, but nonetheless, is cause for some slight hesitancy in buying a ticket. See, back in '06, GQ magazine put out this article (check out #8), which forever put attending a Ray concert in the same category as say riding a gondola in Venice or going to an Italian restaurant on Valentine's Day. It's something you only do if you have a special significant other to do it with, because otherwise no amount of confidence-in-your-singleness will prevent you from being depressed about being in that romance-heavy environment sans a love interest to share the moment with. Even if you ration that it'd be o.k. to attend a Ray concert without necessarily being in love with your companion for the evening, let's be honest, the minimum requirement would at least be someone you can make out with during "Trouble". Now, I've gotta admit that I've kinda enjoyed my singleness this past year, since it afforded me the freedom to go on more dates with incredibly-good-looking men in the past 6 or 7 months than I've been on in the past 6 or 7 years. But, I'm going to really need to be NOT single for that Ray Lamontagne show. Or at least be single, but with a really hot date who is gonna be ok with some required cuddling. :) Fortunately for me, I've got two months to figure this dilemma out. Training for that Nike race in 4 days, on the other hand, is lookin a little less feasible...

1 comment:

Ricky Cadden said...

On a slightly serious note, eHarmony.com? ;)