Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Counting Down...

So in just over a week, it's going to finally be time to take off for Sudan. Still lots to do before we get on the plane -- but I'm ready for the wait to be over and to actually be on our way!

Today I had the great joy of welcoming home one of my dearest friends who has spent the past two years living in Egypt. As I chilled with him and two of my other favorite "brothers", Kelly shared about his experiences working with Sudanese refugees whom he got to teach in Cairo. (First off, I freakin love the fact that I have friends who can sit and discuss African politics with me. I'm continuously amazed at how God has woven our hearts together with such similar interests and parallel journeys.) Hearing about the lives of the Lost Boys who have resettled there in Cairo, it made me even more excited to go to Sudan and engage some in this incredible event of tragedy and restoration. And when I say "excited", I mean that in a "what the hell am I getting myself into?" kinda way that stirs both joyful hope and sober contemplation. I know this trip will be life-changing, but I can't predict in what ways. It won't be a "Omigosh, I can't believe people live in this kind of poverty!" moment -- that was Haiti in 2003. I have a feeling that visiting Sudan is going to break my heart and yet inspire my soul. But who knows how those two situations will come about.

For a sneak peak though of some of what we'll be involved in, I'm passing along this message that was sent to our team from our leader. Check out the school project that we're going to helping out with!

"This video was taken by tom thomas from FEFC. We have been communicating with one another about the school concept and he has been kind enough to take this video for us while he was there just last week doing some teacher training.
You will see the site of the City on a Hill school and it's starter rooms being constructed.
William Laku (the pastor) is the man guiding the tour of the compound. Exciting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THvp3VpQ0Jg

You will have to copy/paste that into your web browser as embedding has been disabled by tom."

No comments: